Playing around in ArtRage. This is Kalifia queen of the isles of California.
I added a new page to the Art Archive today called the Image Dump. It is a random image wall browser intended to help people explore the site.
Just backed Super Awesome Sylvia’s WaterColorBot project over at Kickstarter. I’m so excited. Can’t wait to play with this thing. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894919479/super-awesome-sylvias-watercolorbot-0
I’m setting up a new work space here in Hong Kong. Now that I can get away from the kids I should be able to get a lot more work done.
Just finished converting all of my old art gallery posts over to the new image format. It was a lot of work as I had to replace all the artwork with higher resolution images. In addition I also transitioned all of my video links over from Vimeo to YouTube. The site should now be in ship-shape and function better.
After a long broken hiatus the Video Library is back up and running. Yeah!
I have to rebuild the entire image library for the new theme. There may be broken image links until I’m done.
I’ve done a lot of work on the site these last few nights but still have ways to go. You should now see a rough version of what’s to come. I’m working to update all the pages and my portfolio at the moment. Thanks you for your patience.
I have been very productive the last few weeks but haven’t had a chance to post about all of my new creations. There are a couple paintings and Zbrush sculpts I’ll post about shortly but my most notable project as of late, and the one which has kept me working late into the night, has been the birth of my two new sons Wiley and Rudie Sheehy! The twins have all of their fingers and toes and are as cute as a button so my wife and I couldn’t be happier.
Some of you might have noticed that the site was down for a few weeks. Well sorry about that but I was attempting to move it over to a new server and things didn’t go a smoothly as planned, in fact I had to make a retreat and head back to my original host. No surprise here, but this site is held together by ducktape and prayers and when I tried to move over to my new host everything fell apart. I have jerry-rigged so many elements of the site the move became impossible. I will have to fix a lot of code before I can attempt it again.
Major thanks to my good friend Sam McMullen for all of his help and patience in moving things around the last few weeks. Sam has been helping me to beef up the site and has introduced me to a tidal wave on new tools and resources. Thanks to him this site is going to be screaming fast. Thanks buddy!
Taken on the train to Hong Kong.
Just added a swell iPhone pop-up bubble to the mobil site, so folks can add the web app to their desktop. I found the code on google code and tweaked it a little to match the Archive. Thanks Google!
UPDATE: killed this just because it got annoying and by now everyone knows how to bookmark things on their phones and tables. redundant.
Having been in Hong Kong for the last few weeks I couldn’t help but notice that my site didn’t play nice with pc’s or mobile devices. So from the road I started my third rebuild with cross browser compatibility in mind. If your reading this on anything other than a Mac then the new code is working!
For the mobile readers I built a completely new theme. It’s lightning fast compared to the brick it used to be. There a few bugs concerning my logo and navigation that I’d like to resolve but for the most part I am very happy with it. I’ve been ducking into phone stores here in HK every chance I get to test it on different devices and so far so good.
For the desktop site I built a new more efficient theme as well as cutting or consolidating as many plugins as possible. I started from a boilerplate html5 based theme called “Bones”. It pointed me in the right direction on a lot of the things I wanted to do. Now my big task is to implement better image optimization and dynamic thumbnail resizing. I can always just limit the number of images per page but I would rather server higher resolution pictures to faster machines and smaller to slower.
On the back end I’m also organizing how I sort and handle content as well. The problem right now is that it is too much of a blog and not enough of an “archive”. It’s hard to find things unless you know what your looking for, and that’s just not any fun. I have some leads on how to do this with wordpress custom taxonomies but it looks sort of hard. So check back later to see if I can pull it off.
Wow, looking back Its been a pretty geeky last couple of weeks. Oh well it’s worth it if it helps me share my work with others. What’s the point of being an artist if no can ever see your work.
Another year has come and gone. You were a lot of fun 2010 we won’t forget you! Continue reading
Wahoo! I have perfect color vision! Continue reading