The new mobile site is up and running

so many cell phones

Having been in Hong Kong for the last few weeks I couldn’t help but notice that my site didn’t play nice with pc’s or mobile devices. So from the road I started my third rebuild with cross browser compatibility in mind. If your reading this on anything other than a Mac then the new code is working!

For the mobile readers I built a completely new theme. It’s lightning fast compared to the brick it used to be. There a few bugs concerning my logo and navigation that I’d like to resolve but for the most part I am very happy with it. I’ve been ducking into phone stores here in HK every chance I get to test it on different devices and so far so good.

For the desktop site I built a new more efficient theme as well as cutting or consolidating as many plugins as possible. I started from a boilerplate html5 based theme called “Bones”. It pointed me in the right direction on a lot of the things I wanted to do. Now my big task is to implement better image optimization and dynamic thumbnail resizing. I can always just limit the number of images per page but I would rather server higher resolution pictures to faster machines and smaller to slower.

On the back end I’m also organizing how I sort and handle content as well. The problem right now is that it is too much of a blog and not enough of an “archive”. It’s hard to find things unless you know what your looking for, and that’s just not any fun. I have some leads on how to do this with wordpress custom taxonomies but it looks sort of hard. So check back later to see if I can pull it off.

Wow, looking back Its been a pretty geeky last couple of weeks. Oh well it’s worth it if it helps me share my work with others. What’s the point of being an artist if no can ever see your work.